Thursday 29 December 2016

Book Challenge

True confession time: I did not finish the 2016 book challenge found here. I tried. I read all of the light reader, all of the avid reader, and almost all of the committed reader (I missed a book about money or finance). I also read 35/52 of the obsessed reader (and I still have 2 days to finish the one I'm currently reading). I also read 4/5 of the extra credit (missing a book about business).

I also read other books that I couldn't fit into any of the categories (or that fit categories I had already used). I made up my own categories:

1. A sequel to a book you read last year: Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
2. A random book that you found at the library while trying to remember what you were looking for: Guinevere’s Truth and Other Tales by Jennifer Roberson
3. A book you started to keep small children occupied (and then finished on your own): Scout The Secret of the Swamp by Piet Prins
4. The last mystery written about Miss Marple: The Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie
5. A book with a number in the title: Five Little Pigs by Agatha Christie
6. A book originally published with a different title: Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie (previously published as Remembered Death)
7. A book that you read one Saturday when you should have been doing other stuff: Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
8. A book with the word “clouds” in the title: Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie
9. A book of short mysteries: Five-Minute Mysteries 3 by Ken Weber
10. A book about books: The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
11. A book about The Princess Bride: As You Wish by Cary Elwes
12. A book you read in an evening: Absolutely Almost by Lisa Graff
13. Another book by the above author: Lost in the Sun by Lisa Graff
14. A book you recommended to your friend’s daughter: London Stories by Jim Eldridge
15. A book with a great title: Confections of a Closet Master Baker by Gesine Bullock Prado
16. A book of Christmas stories:
                a. Journey into Christmas by Bess Streeter Aldrich
                b. Christmas in my Heart vol. 1 by Joe Wheeler
                c. Christmas in my Heart vol. 18 by Joe Wheeler

Over the next few days (or the next week or whenever I get it done), I'll give you my top fiction and nonfiction lists.
I do plan to try the 2017 Reading Challenge. It's a bit more flexible as there are more several "a book of your own choice" listings, as well as generic "a book about theology"listings. We'll see how it goes. I like the reading challenges because they help me plan and organize my reading (except for the part where I read 18 books that didn't fit anywhere), and they get me reading a greater variety of books, including some I wouldn't ordinarily read. Plus, I just like lists!

No comments: