Sunday 19 November 2017

Sunday Stuff

Today was a bit different in that while I was at church, I wasn't participating a lot. I've been fighting a cold, and I was coughing a lot this morning. I thought about staying home, but it was the first Christmas concert practice, so I figured I should be there. By the time I left (at about 9:00), I wasn't coughing very much.

Anyway, I was needed as a "helper" in a classroom today as there was a teacher off sick. Mostly I was just needed as an extra presence, so I wandered in and out, taking care of stuff. I did a pile of photocopying for the concert (songs and lines), and sat in the Sunday School room and organized it all. Then, when it was time for the service, I decided not to try sitting through the service. I didn't have the energy to stand for singing, and I couldn't sing anyway (my voice is rather rough) (as a side note, no one would care if I sat down during the singing; at the most, they would worry that I was unwell). I also didn't want to disturb everyone if I started coughing. Happily enough, the service is piped into one of the Sunday School rooms (so parents have a place to bring restless children), so I hung out in there.

Practice went about as well as the first one ever goes. I was with the grade 5-12 students, trying to get them to stop talking long enough for me to give out lines and explain things. There were questions (that would have been answered if they had listened); plenty of "helpful" advice; and an attempt to convince me to use a real baby for Jesus (no, no, no, no, no!). We did get through the readings, and I understand that the younger children at least heard the songs (and some of them even sang). It's a start!

I have a bit of a different Christmas song for you this week. Enjoy!


No comments: