Tuesday 23 January 2018

First Lines

Here are the first lines of the books that I've been reading lately (side note: I've looked at some of the older "first lines" posts and while I can remember most of the books, I can't remember all of them):

"You can ask my family and co-workers and all of them will tell you that I hate surprises."

"The Mole had been working very hard all the morning, spring-cleaning his little home."

"I flipped through the CT scan images, the diagnosis obvious: the lungs were mated with innumerable tumors, the spine deformed, a full lobe of the liver obliterated."

"There were no other survivors."

"Christianity is the only major religion to have as its central event the humiliation of its God."

"The problem of defining what produces laughter involves a degree of wrestling with language."

"After arriving at the port city of Alexandrian Troas on the western coast of the province of Asia, the apostle Paul saw a night vision."

"The saga of Paul's Thessalonian experience and the continuing spread of the gospel from Asia to Europe begins in Acts 17, after Paul has traveled from Philippi on his second missionary journey."

"At first I was impressed."

No comments: